Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How I'm Green

So what am I currently doing that I consider Green? It's not a lot, but like the title of my blog, I'm trying.



1. Composting - we bought a composter last year. It's likely made with plastic that was created in some factory that's damaging to the environment though. Plastic is the new 'bad guy' right? Anyways, we have one and until the snow in our backyard got so high we couldn't make it to the composter, we had been putting all our compostable refuse in it. It's very full now, and we only used it for a few months. We have not had it over a summer so I am anxious to see it in action once the heat gets here!



2. Curbside recycling - A program in our city where you pay a yearly fee and ever 2 weeks a truck comes by and collects your recyclables. They collect all plastics (not styrofoam though), glass, metal, paper and cardboard. There are other recycling depots in the city, but they only accept paper and metal. Once we started this program and started composting, the amount of stuff we threw into the actual garbage was cut at least in half.



3. Homemade Laundry Soap - I've been making my own laundry soap for a few years now. It's made of a bar of soap, borax and washing soda. I honestly don't know what's in all those things, but I don't think it can be any worse than what is in store bought soap. It's way cheaper too. I still use Bounce though. I thought about getting those dryer balls but then I read somewhere that the chemical process used to make them is more damaging to the environment than using Bounce. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it prevented me from spending the money on them at the time.



4. Cleaning Products - This is something that is definitely in the 'trying' phase. Not all our cleaning products are "green" and my husband loves paper towels. I have been making a conscious choice when buying new products to get ones that are labelled as Green or Environmentally Friendly. How much truth is in those labels is another question. I really should go all the way and just make my own. It will come...maybe.



5. Cloth grocery bags - We have lots of them. I try to remember them all the time but I don't. We still have an abundance of plastic bags, but I don't throw them away if I have too many, I recycle them.



6. Reusable cloth menstrual pads - Too much information, I know. I'll just leave it at that.



There must be more but that's all I have time for now.

1 comment:

  1. HEY! Nice blog.
    About the laundry soap, does it clean well? I loathe cleaning products, but the enviro ones suck at cleaning. I can't use bounce in my dryer as it puts a film on our filter and blocks it up too much.
    I may email you about those cloth pads, I want more info!

    ReplyDelete